Thanksgiving 2022 from Larry and Angie Overholt

 






We have written many types of letters over our 42 years as missionaries with World Gospel Mission. We have written journals, ministry reports, blogs, prayer letters, support letters, newsletters, praise letters, impact letters, and thank you letters. All are important and have their time and purpose. During this Thanksgiving season, we are focusing on the reality that we have so much for which to be thankful. This is a “Thanksgiving” letter.

Out of our childish ways God brings maturity.

I am thankful for the increasing maturity in my relationship with God. I’m often reminded of my early teenage years when I still understood as a child. I anticipated that my own skills, talents, and abilities would direct my future path. I thought that I had what was needed to be successful in life.
My thoughts were those of a child. My worldview was extremely limited in scope, and my understanding of what God wanted for my life was incomplete. My desires were to obtain material possessions and develop a career where I could settle down with my family and enjoy my accomplishments. I wanted job security on my own terms.
But “when I became a man, I put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13:11). By 15 years of age, I was only starting to imagine the blessings that God had planned for me. I am thankful for all I have.

Out of our sickness, God brings us healing.

I am thankful that God creates in us a grateful heart even when there is a climate of uncertainty surrounding us. Our daughter Rachel is facing the fearful diagnosis of having cancer and our family is dealing with many other health issues. Rachel’s condition was detected at a very early stage and has a good prognosis for treatment. She has been a rock of stability and an example of exemplary faith for us and everyone who knows her.

Out of political turmoil God gives us peace.

I am thankful that even in times of apparent dismay all around us, where our country is so politically polarized God can give us hope for a future. Dating back to the early days of the pilgrims in the early 17th century, our country has a rich history of celebrating Thanksgiving as a holiday. I find comfort and encouragement in the 1st-century words of thanksgiving that the apostle Paul originally shared with the Philippian church (Philippians 4: 4-9, NKJV).

• Paul wrote “Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!” We rejoice that God has been with us through the turmoil of making a major transition in ministry. Our physical illnesses could have been much worse.

• “Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.” These are difficult days for the American Church and many individual congregations of believers that we have been involved with for many years are making changes. Since we have become established once again in Ohio, Angie and I are now members of a local church here. We believe that God wants us to show a “gentle spirit” to all people we meet.

• “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” What a promise from God! I admit that I struggle to understand the direction our country is taking. It would be tempting for me to fall into an attitude of anxiety. I am thankful that God has given me a peaceful heart recognizing once again that God is in control.

“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.”

Comments